HC Deb 27 February 1997 vol 291 c291W
Mr. Pawsey

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what restrictions apply to the length of time students from(a) Australia, (b) Canada, (c) New Zealand and (d) South Africa may reside in the United Kingdom; and what permits are required. [17355]

Mr. Kirkhope

There is no upper limit on the time an overseas student may remain in the United Kingdom. A student who fully satisfies the requirements of the immigration rules will normally be given leave for the period of his course.

The criteria for leave to enter or remain as a student are set out in the "Statement of Changes in the Immigration Rules", HC 395, as amended, at paragraphs 57 to 62, a copy of which is in the Library.

Nationals of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa do not need to obtain a visa before travelling to the United Kingdom as students. However, they may apply for an entry certificate should they wish to do so.