HL Deb 05 February 1997 vol 577 c150WA
Lord Marlesford

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether they are satisfied that local authorities should grant themselves planning permission for the erection of advertising hoardings when the same local authorities will receive revenue from the use of such sites.

The Minister of State, Department of the Environment (Earl Ferrers)

Under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1992, local authorities cannot grant themselves express consent for the display of advertisements, including hoardings, unless they are required for their statutory functions. Where an authority wishes to obtain a consent otherwise, a formal application must be made to the Secretary of State for the Environment in accordance with the provisions of regulation II of the Town and Country Planning General Regulations 1992.

Forward to