§ Mr. Yeo
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions (1) if he will list (1) for each class of authority and (2) for each individual local authority and Police authority in England(a) 1998–99 standard spending assessments in total and by major service block, (b) changes in standard spending assessments in total and by major service block, between 1997–98 and 1998–99, expressed in (i) monetary and (ii) percentage terms, (c) changes in standard spending assessments in total and by major service block, between 1997–98 and 1998–99, expressed (i) in monetary and (ii) percentage terms and adjusted to take account of changes in local authority functions and responsibilities (d) resident population, (e) tax base, (f) standard spending assessment, (g) standard tax income, (h) business rate income,(i) revenue support grant, (j) standard spending assessment reduction grant and (k) total external support, for 1998–99; 
(2) what is the (a) total standard spending assessment and Police grant and (b) total external support including revenue support, non-domestic rates, standard spending assessment reduction grant and police grants to be received by (i) all local authorities, (ii) each class of local authority,(iii) education authorities, (iv) authorities other than Police authorities and (v) all authorities, in (1) 1998–99 and (2) 1997–98 indicating (a) the change over 1997–98 in pounds and percentages, (b) adjustments for 1997–98 for local government reorganisation and for changed local authority functions and responsibilities in 1998–99; and if he will list each such adjustment and its monetary value; 
(3) what is the (a) total standard spending and (b) total aggregate external finance for (i) all local authorities and (ii) all local authorities other than Police authorities in England in (1) 1998–99 and (2) 1997–98, giving in each case (A) the change over 1997–98 in pounds and percentages and (B) adjusting 1997–98 totals for changed local authority functions and responsibilities in 1998–99, listing each adjustment and its monetary value. 
§ Mr. Raynsford
This information will be available in the Library following my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Region statement on local government finance.
§ Mr. Stringer
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions if he will set out the basis of his calculations of the distributable amount of non-domestic rates for 1998–99. 
§ Mr. Armstrong
The distributable amount of non-domestic rates in England for 1998–99 will be £12,524 million. This is based on a non-domestic rate multiplier of 0.474 and includes an allowance of £360 million for an Exchequer payment to the non-domestic rates pool, to compensate for the shortfall which would otherwise occur as a result of the regulations 113W under section 58 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 to phase in the effects of the 1995 revaluation on rate bills.
National non-domestic rates—Calculation of distributable amount £ million 1995–96 1996–97 1997–98 1998–99 final outturn provisional outturn provisional outturn estimated in-year contribution 1. Income from local lists Multiplier (p) 43.2 44.9 45.8 47.4 Gross rate yield 12,781 13,369 13,518 13,843 (i) Reliefs (a) Net transitional relief -731 -546 -497 -616 (b) Empty properties -1,054 -1,014 -1,098 -1,137 (c) Charitable -445 -482 -535 -535 (d) Discretionary -26 -77 -181 -50 Net yield after reliefs 10,524 11,251 11,207 11,504 (ii) Collection costs/reductions to contributions (a) Costs of collection -75 -76 -79 -79 (b) Losses on collection -144 -148 -154 -160 c) City of London offset -7 -7 -7 -7 Total contribution in respect of year 10,299 11,020 10,968 11,259 (iii) Adjustments Repayments/interest payments -1,005 -363 -350 -426 Total adjustments -1,005 -363 -350 -426 Net local yield 9,294 10,657 10,618 10,833 2. Income from central list Net central list yield 1,192 1,221 1,200 1,211 3. Income from crown contributions in aid Net crown yield 481 487 485 445 Total NDR yield 10,967 12,365 12,303 12,489 4. Exchequer contributions Total exchequer contributions 505 429 400 360 Total NNDR pool payments (1+2+3+4) 11,472 12,794 12,703 12,849 5. Adjustments Surplus brought forward -1,177 -1,059 -1,002 -326 Combined total 10,295 11,734 11,701 12,524 Distributable amount 11,354 12,736 12,027 12,524 Surplus carried forward -1,059 -1,002 -326 —
The amounts shown are those recorded in the post end-year (NNDR3) returns. For 1997–98 the amounts shown are the estimated outturn for the year based mainly upon authorities' provisional contributions to the non-domestic rating pool.
- 1. Item 1: The gross calculated rate yield represents the total value of non-domestic hereditaments on local rating lists times the multiplier.
- 2. Item 1(i)(a): The Transitional decrease adjustment includes the estimated amount of rates that will not be recouped from local list ratepayers under the transitional arrangements made by regulations under section 58 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
- 3. Item 1(i)(b): the empty property relief adjustments include voids and partially occupied hereditaments. The 1998–99 figure includes an allowance for the increase in the gross rates yield.
- 4. Item 1(i)(c): Charitable rate relief. The 1998–99 figure includes mandatory relief for village shops under the Local Government and Rating Act 1997. As for empty property relief.
- 5. Item 1(i)(d): Discretionary relief granted to charities, non-profit making organisations and for other reasons including, for 1998–99, discretionary relief for village shops and other rural businesses granted under the Local Government and Rating Act 1997. As for charitable rate relief.
- 6. Item 1(ii)(a)&(b): The allowances for the costs and losses incurred by local authorities in collecting non-domestic rates from ratepayers.
- 7. Item 1(ii)(c): City Offset—the amount which the City of London will not be required to pay into the non-domestic rating pool. It is the amount which will be retained by the authority to meet its own expenditure.
- 8. Item 1(iii): net adjustment in respect of appeals and other amendments to the rating list affecting liability for previous years rates settled in that year.
- 9. Item 2: the rateable value of non-domestic hereditaments on the central rating list times the multiplier, less the net effect of transitional arrangements, and adjusted for appeals and other changes in respect of previous years.
- 10. Item 3: the 1998–99 figure for crown properties includes an allowance for the effect of transition.
- 11. Item 4: the contribution from central government to offset the amount of the Secretary of State's estimate of income forgone as a result of transitional arrangements established by regulations under section 58 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
The calculation for 1998–99, and the prior-year figures on which this is based, are set out in the following table: