HC Deb 31 October 1996 vol 284 c254W
Mr. Barry Field

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what plans he has to further regulate the minting of ecus by local authorities. [320]

Mrs. Angela Knight

No changes are needed. The Coinage Act 1971 sets out clearly that only the Royal Mint may issue coins in the United Kingdom.