HC Deb 19 November 1996 vol 285 c529W
Mrs. Gorman

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what plans he has to assist local authorities in the funding of the cost of asylum seekers. [3122]

Mr. Burns

The Department of Health has established special grants to assist local authorities in supporting (i) children and their families, and (ii) unaccompanied children. Officials from relevant Government Departments are also working with the local authorities most concerned to assess the scale of the problem of adult asylum seekers.