HC Deb 27 March 1996 vol 274 c648W
Mr. Wray

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland in what circumstances the college boards in Scotland will be expected to administer the travel expenses of students with disabilities after April 1996; what additional funding will be provided to cover these costs; and from what source it will come. [22288]

Mr. Raymond S. Robertson

Students, including those with disabilities, attending incorporated colleges of further education will be eligible to apply for assistance with travel expenses from the bursary scheme operated by the college at which they are studying. A total of £45 million has been transferred to the colleges of further education for the purpose of operating the bursary scheme. Bursary awards can include an element to cover travel expenses.

Mr. Wray

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what estimate he has made of the number of students with disabilities in Glasgow who will have their travel costs provided for by the new unitary authority after April 1996. [22296]

Mr. Robertson

[holding answer 26 March 1996]: Information on the number of students with disabilities who seek assistance with their travel costs is not held centrally. From 1 April 1996 students attending incorporated colleges should approach their college about a bursary award, which can include an element in respect of travel costs. Students attending non-incorporated colleges should contact their new unitary authorities which will be responsible for their bursary awards.