HC Deb 06 March 1996 vol 273 c265W
Mr. Redmond

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland ( I) which health authorities provide NHS treatment for(a) assisted and (b) surrogate pregnancy for childless couples; and if he will make a statement; [17966]

(2) what plans he has to designate (a) assisted and (b) surrogate pregnancies for childless couples on the NHS as clinically essential; and if he will make a statement. [17968]

Lord James Douglas-Hamilton

Information about which health boards provide NHS treatment for all assisted and surrogate pregnancies is not available centrally. It is for individual health boards to decide whether to purchase high technology infertility procedures and surrogate pregnancy services.