§ Mr. Nigel Evans
To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland when the Northern Ireland Prison Service intends to publish its 1996 corporate and business plan; and what performance targets have been set for 1996–97. 
§ Sir John Wheeler
The Northern Ireland Prison Service's 1996 corporate and business plan was published today. For 1996–97, the following key performance targets have been set:
- 1. To ensure 100 per cent. security for prisoners in high and top-risk categories; and to ensure at least 99.5 per cent. security of prisoners in medium and low risk categories.
- 2. To ensure that the number of significant breaches does not exceed 7.9 per 100 prisoners.
- 3. To increase the proportion of prisoner places with access to sanitation at all times of the day and night to 100 per cent.
- 4. To achieve an average 10 per cent. improvement in constructive activity hours.
- 5. To conduct a customer satisfaction survey of visitors in each establishment; and to complete an extension to the visitors centre at Her Majesty's prison, Maghaberry.
- 6. To extend eligibility for sentence planning to life sentence prisoners and to ensure that at least 50 per cent. of all eligible prisoners have a sentence plan and that all new committals who are eligible and who want a sentence plan will have one within three months of the date of committal.
- 7. To ensure that the average cost per prisoner place does not exceed £76,329.
- 8. To achieve an average of five days' training per member of staff.