HC Deb 06 June 1996 vol 278 c504W
Mr. Pike

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what guidance his Department has given to the Environment Agency in respect of(a) action to deal with foul water flooding, (b) abandoned mines water discharges, (c) flood alleviation and (d) unsatisfactory storm overflows; and what is the regional distribution of (a) (b) and (d). [30001]

Mr. Clappison

No guidance in respect of action to deal with foul water flooding has been issued by the Department to the Environment Agency. I understand that Ofwat holds information about the distribution of foul water flooding.

No specific guidance has been given to the Environment Agency regarding discharges from abandoned mines. The regional distribution of such discharges was described in detail in "Abandoned Mines and the Water Environment," a report issued by the National Rivers Authority in March 1994.

My right hon. and learned Friend, the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Wales, are responsible for policy on flood alleviation. The published "Strategy for Flood and Coastal Defence in England and Wales" provides a comprehensive framework for the Environment Agency to work within.

Guidance is being prepared to assist both dischargers and the Environment Agency in implementing the Urban Waste Water Treatment (England and Wales) Regulations 1994. It will include guidance on the limitation of pollution from storm water overflows. Information about numbers and location of unsatisfactory storm overflows will be held by the regional offices of the Environment Agency.

Forward to