§ Mr. Donohoe
To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what use his Department has made of private detective agencies or investigators during 1995–96 and 1994–95; what agencies have been employed; for what purposes; and what cost to his Department. 
§ Sir John Wheeler
During 1995–95 and 1994–95, the Northern Ireland Office and the Northern Ireland Departments have used detective agencies or investigators on the following occasions:
- (1) serving six debt enforcement orders;
- (2) gathering evidence in relation to an enforcement action against the unauthorised change of use of a property;
- (3) investigating seven public or employers liability claims;
- (4) investigating two industrial injury claims;
- (5) work in relation to an appraisal of a project for which grant assistance had been sought;
- at a total cost of £17,861.
Names of the detective agencies have not been disclosed on grounds of confidentiality and security.