HC Deb 04 June 1996 vol 278 cc341-2W
Mr. Key

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what percentage of buses and coaches owned by, or used by, the services are now fitted with engine governors, restricting their top speed to 65 mph. [30665]

Mr. Soames

The joint service fleet of buses and coaches currently consists of 929 vehicles of mixed types, all of which have speed limiters fitted. Approximately 41 per cent. of the total fleet, which was acquired before 1988, has limiters set at 65mph. The remaining 59 per cent. is restricted to 60mph. Buses and coaches hired for service use have to comply with the speed limiter regulations in force in the country in which the vehicle is hired.

Forward to