HC Deb 22 July 1996 vol 282 cc110-1W
Mr. Madden

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what provisions apply to the payment by local authorities in Scotland of awards to students equivalent to education maintenance allowances paid by local authorities in England and Wales; if he will list those local education authorities in Scotland which pay such awards: how much is currently paid by each; if he will list the practice of each authority as to when the allowance is paid; and if he will make a statement. [38446]

Mr. Raymond S. Robertson

[holding answer 19 July 1996]: The equivalent of education allowances in Scotland are higher school bursaries. All the education authorities in Scotland have the power to offer these bursaries, and to determine the circumstances in which they will do so. Details of the policies and expenditure of individual authorities are not held centrally.