HC Deb 22 July 1996 vol 282 c8W
Mr. Steen

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will list the licences issued by his Department; for what purpose they are issued; and what are the administrative costs involved for each. [37598]

Mrs. Angela Knight

[holding answer 16 July 1996]: HM Treasury issues licences under the Coinage Act 1971 which permits companies or individuals to melt down or break up metal coin. Two licences were granted during 1995–96 and one during the current financial year. I am unable to give details of which companies the licences were given to as this would compromise their commercial activities. As the granting of a licence involves a simple exchange of letters, the cost is minimal.

Back to
Forward to