§ Mr. Alan Howarth
To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security how many people in receipt of(a) family credit and (b) disability working allowance are currently earning below the lower earnings limit for national insurance contributions. 
§ Mr. Heald
There are 133,000 family credit awards and 2,752 disability working allowance awards where the main earner earns less than lower earnings limit for national insurance contributions.
1. The exact number is quoted for disability working allowance. Number of family credit claims is rounded to the nearest thousand.
2. The lower earnings limit referred to for the purposes of this question is the amount for April 1995-April 1996 which was £58.00 per week.
3. Data for family credit and disability working allowance, is for October 1995 and January 1996 respectively.
1. Family credit 5 per cent. sample of awards.
2. Disability working allowance 100 per cent. count of claims.
3. Social security statistics 1995.325W