HL Deb 25 January 1996 vol 568 c81WA
The Earl of Mar and Kellie

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether, under Section 12 of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968, a local authority may make a direct payment in lieu of providing services to a person with disability caused by ageing, physical handicap, learning difficulties or mental ill health.

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Scottish Office (The Earl of Lindsay)

Section 12 of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968 provides for a local authority to give cash to, or in respect of, any person aged at least 18 years who is in need, within the meaning of the Act, and requiring assistance in exceptional circumstances constituting an emergency, and where to do so would be more cost effective.