HC Deb 13 February 1996 vol 271 c546W
Mr. Steinberg

To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, pursuant to her answer to the hon. Member for Paisley, South (Mr. McMaster) of 18 January,Official Report, column 726, what are the qualifying criteria that sheltered accommodation must meet to be eligible for a concessionary television licence. [14592]

Mr. Sproat

In order for residents to qualify for concessionary television licences, sheltered accommodation must be provided or run by a local authority or housing association and must consist of a group of at least four dwellings:

  1. (a) which are provided for occupation by disabled persons, mentally disordered persons or retired persons of pensionable age;
  2. (b) which have been erected or converted for the purposes of such occupation;
  3. (c) for which there is a person whose function is to care for the needs of the persons referred to in paragraph (a) above and who either lives in one of the dwellings within the group or works in that group for at least 30 hours per week; and
  4. (d) which fall within a common and exclusive boundary.