HC Deb 11 December 1996 vol 287 cc290-2W
Mr. Frank Cook

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security in what circumstances the Benefits Agency is able to pay residential allowance to clients in a residential programme not registered as a residential home or mental nursing home under the terms of the Registered Homes Act 1984. [8672]

Mr. Roger Evans

Generally, income support residential allowance is payable only to persons in a registered residential care or nursing home. However, residential allowance may be paid to residents of unregistered homes, if the homes are managed or provided by a body incorporated by royal charter or constituted by Act of Parliament—other than a social services authority—and they provide both board and personal care to the customer.