HC Deb 23 April 1996 vol 276 cc94-5W
Mr. Sedgemore

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment if funds and facilities can be provided in the state sector to give children with learning difficulties an education based on the principles used by Professor Feuerstein of the international centre for the enhancement of learning potential in Jerusalem; and if she will ensure provision along these lines is made for the child whose name has been sent to her. [24955]

Mrs. Gillan

[holding answer 16 April 1996]: It is for local education authorities and schools to decide how best to meet the needs of children with special educational needs in the light of the statutory code of practice on the identification and assessment of SEN. Where a child has been assessed as requiring a statement of SEN, LEAs have to consult parents and others about the provision to be specified in the statement. It is open to LEAs to use funding from the grants for educational support and training programme for SEN training to train teachers in any area of SEN.