§ Dr. Godman
To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will make a statement about the terms of reference given to his working party which is reviewing the ownership, management and monitoring of privately owned residential homes for elderly citizens; and if he will list the members of the aforesaid committee. [21844)186W
§ Lord James Douglas-Hamilton
Following is the remit of the Scottish Office working group on residential care home registration procedures:
- (a) To review, in the light of recent incidents, current registration and inspection procedures and local authority powers under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968, as amended by the Registered Establishments (Scotland) Act 1987.
- (b) To review current Scottish Office guidance and practice guidance on these issues.
- (c) To have regard to the financial and operational implications of regulatory control for independent sector providers.
- (d) To have regard to the parallel exercise relating to the registration and inspection of nursing homes.
- (e) To recommend to Ministers such changes as may he necessary concerning (a) to (c).
ObjectiveTo provide local authorities with the necessary framework to achieve effective and equitable regulation of independent sector establishments in order to protect the welfare and interests of residents.
The members of the working group represent the main interest groups as follows:
The Scottish Office
Mr. G. Anderson (Chair)
Ms P. McCaw
Mr. H. MacKenzie
Mr. A. McNaughton
Mrs. J. McNeill
Convention of Scottish Local Authorities
Mr. A. Robb, Director, Grampian Regional Council Social Work Department
Association of Directors of Social Work
Miss M. Hartnoll, Director, Strathclyde Regional Council Social Work Department (alternative Mr. R. Winter, Deputy Director)
Social Work Department Registration and Inspection Units
Mr. I Middleton, Head of Unit, Lothian Regional Council Social Work Department
Local Authority Law and Administration
Mr. R. Marr, Assistant Chief Executive, Borders Regional Council
British Federation of Care Home Proprietors
Mr. H. Ross
Scottish Association of Care Home Owners
Mr. C. Cowie
Scottish Federation of Housing Associations
Mr. D. Bookbinder
Mr. I. Baillie, Director of Social Work, Church of Scotland
Mr. J. Jackson, Executive Director, Alzheimer Scotland—Action on Dementia