§ Mr. Nigel Griffiths
To ask the President of the Board of Trade (1) if he will publish or place in the Library a list of towns or areas which are expected to run out of telephone numbers by(a) January 1997, (b) January 1998, (c) January 1999 and (d) January 2000 if further action is not taken by the Office of Telecommunications; 
(2) if he will hold an inquiry into Oftel's recent addition of "1" to all telephone numbers; 313W
(3) what steps he took to secure an undertaking from Oftel that the addition of "1" to all telephone numbers in April would be the last major number change this century; 
(4) what steps he took to ensure that the addition of "1" to all telephone numbers in April would meet the needs of all current and future telephone users; 
(5) if he will estimate the cost to business and individuals of the addition of "1" to all telephone numbers in April; 
(6) if he will ensure that the recommendations of Oftel's consultation into the requirement for new numbers in London, Cardiff, Belfast, Reading, Portsmouth and Southampton are the subject of independent scrutiny. 
§ Mr. Ian Taylor
My Department welcomes the evidence of increased use of telephones and the demands for new applications of technology in telephony. The need to create new numbers reflects this.
Specific numbering issues are the responsibility of an independent regulator, the Director General of Telecommunications, and I have therefore asked him to write to the hon. Member about the matters he has raised.