§ Mr. Fatchett
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his answer of 5 July,Official Report, c. 272, what is the value of (a) those activities subject to market testing that included a bid from the respective in-house organisation and (b) those activities where an in-house bid was not allowed. 
§ Mr. Arbuthnot
The total value of activities which have been subject to market testing that included a bid from the respective in-house organisation in the last three reporting periods, covering 1 April 1992 to 31 March 1995, was £80 million. The total value of activities where an in-house bid was not allowed, that is, where the activity was strategically contracted out, in the same period, was £409 million. This latter figure includes AWE contractorisation valued at £275 million.
§ Mr. Fatchett
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his answer of 5 July,Official Report, c. 272, if he will (a) name the organisations awarded contracts to carry out the activities where an in-house bid was not allowed and (b) express as a percentage of the total number of activities market tested the number of activities where an in-house bid has not been allowed; and if he will make a statement. 
§ Mr. Arbuthnot
The organisations awarded contracts to carry out the activities where an in-house bid was not allowed, that is, where the activity was strategically contracted out, in the last three reporting periods, are listed in the table. This is 39 per cent. of the total number of activities completed under the competing for quality process within the same periods.
- MINISTRY OF DEFENCE—ACTIVITIES STRATEGICALLY CONTRACTED OUT
- Gardening, Royal Marine School of Music, Deal—Oaklands plc
- Harrier Aircraft Service Support, H.M.S. HERON—Hunting A/C Ltd.
- Helicopter Maintenance and Engineering Support, H.M.S. OSPREY, H.M.S. HERON and H.M.S. SEAHAWK—Hunting A/C Ltd.
- Simulator Helicopter Control Operations, H.M.S. OSPREY—Hunting A/C Ltd.
- Bielefeld bakery—NAAFI
- Works Services, H.M.S. SEAHAWK—PSA Building Management
- Works Services, H.M.S. DOLPHIN—PSA Building Management
- Central Engineer Resources, Plant Hire, Long Marston—various local contractors
- Food distribution in BAOR—NAAFI
- Food distribution in rear combat zone (BAOR)—NAAFI
- Line of Communications—Freight Service, (Low Countries)—DEPAIRE
- Engineering and Supply (multi-activity contract), RAF Scampton—Hunting A/C Ltd.
- RAF/RN Elementary Flying Training Topcliffe—Hunting A/C Ltd.
- Domestic Services, MOD Police, Wethersfield—Gardner Merchant
- Works Services Maintenance, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Falkland Islands, Belize—Turner (FM) Ltd./Balfour Beatty/ACO
- Atomic Weapons Establishment, Aldermaston—Hunting Brae Ltd.
- Combat Systems Information Management Team—EASAMS Ltd.
- Guarding, Abbey Wood—CHUBB Wardens Ltd. Relocation Reconnaissance Visits, Bristol—Peter Carol Executive Coaches
- Tri Service food study—NAAFI
- Verbatim Court Recorders, Salisbury—Harry Counsell and Co
- Catering strategy study, UK Land Forces—various contractors across a range of sites
- Air Weapons Range, Rosehearty—Assessment Services Ltd. Electronic Warfare training tasks, 360 Sqn, RAF Wyton—FR Aviation Ltd.
- Government Pipeline and Storage System, (Operation and Maintenance)—Simon Storage Group/SERCO Gulf Engineering/Unipen
- Parachute Transport Flight, RAF Hullavington—Hallett Silbermann
- Station Engineering Management Aid, (Maintenance Analysis and Computing Division), RAF Swanton Morley—Bull Information Systems Ltd.
- Furniture repair, British Forces Hong Kong—Wing Cheung and Co Ltd.
- School bus service, British Forces Hong Kong—Hoi Tai Tours Ltd.
- Support Services, Akrotiri, Cyprus—Compass Catering Service (Cyprus) Ltd.
- Data entry, Met Office, Bracknell—Alpha Numeric 1994–95
- Wireless Stations (Operation and Maintenance), Inskip and Crimond—SERCO Services Ltd.
- Freight Service, Germany—TNT Express Holding GmbH
- Mobile Civilian Artisan Groups, Germany—Procurement of services as and when required
- Support for Parachute Training—Hunting Aviation Ltd.
- The Queen's Flight, (engineering support) RAF NortholtFLS Aerospace (Lovaux) Ltd.
- Repair of Defence Accommodation Stores, RAF Quedgeley— HiFburb Ltd./Thackers Ltd./Gordons of Hemingford
- Curtain manufactures, British Forces Hong Kong—FCO Procurement Unit
- Food supply, British Forces Hong Kong—various contractors
- Support Services, British Forces Hong Kong—SERCO/Gardner Merchant