HC Deb 17 July 1995 vol 263 c1000W
Ms Corston

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security if he will make it his policy to pay compensation to men who, through mistaken identity or maladministration, receive maintenance inquiry forms or other communications from the Child Support Agency in respect of children of whom they are not the father; and if he will make a statement. [31521]

Mr. Andrew Mitchell

The Government do not accept that financial compensation should be paid in all cases to those incorrectly identified by the Child Support Agency as an alleged absent parent. However, the Child Support Agency can and does make ex-gratia payments to reimburse individuals who have incurred expenses as a result of having to correct the agency's error of identification. Requests for compensation are considered on their merits.

Forward to