HC Deb 14 July 1995 vol 263 c849W
Sir John Gorst

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, pursuant to his answer of 4 July,Official Report, column 193, what measures are in place to ensure that care and nursing homes do not increase their fees in excess of increases in the rates of the higher level of income support so that residents of such homes with preserved rights are not forced to use personal savings to meet the difference if fees exceed welfare payments. [34383]

Mr. Roger Evans

Under the old system of income support limits, the level of fees charged in independent residential care and nursing homes are a matter between the proprietors and the residents, or their relatives and the Government have no authority to intervene.