HC Deb 13 July 1995 vol 263 c785W
Mr. Redmond

To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage if she will list the churches by name and location that are suffering damage from mining subsidence; what discussions she has had with the Church authorities; and if she will make a statement. [32998]

Mr. Sproat

My Department does not keep a list of such cases and has had no recent discussions on the subject. Where a building is affected by mining subsidence, the owner can claim compensation from the mine operator. In the case of an Anglican church, such a claim would normally be lodged by the incumbent and the parochial church council. I understand that the Council for the Care of Churches and individual parochial church councils discuss problems with mining operators as and when the need arises.