§ Mrs. Anne Campbell
To ask the Secretary of State for Health what is the cost in real terms to the NHS of the prescriptions for drugs to alleviate the symptoms of asthma in the year since 1990–91. 
§ Mr. Malone
The available information is shown in the table.
The net ingredient cost in actual and real terms of drugs used in the treatment of asthma, 1991–92, 1992–93 and 1993–94 England Period Net ingredient cost (£ millions) Net ingredient cost at 1991–92 prices using the GDP deflator (£ millions) 1991–92 270.6 270.6 1992–93 312.5 300.5 1993–94 357.6 333.7
1. Drugs as defined by the British National Formulary section 3.1 (bronchodilators), 3.2 (corticosteroids) and 3.3 (cromoglycate and related therapy). Some of these drugs may have been prescribed for conditions other than asthma.
2. The information was obtained from the prescription cost analysis system which is based on a full analysis of all prescriptions dispensed in England by community pharmacists and appliance contractors, dispensing doctors and prescriptions submitted by prescribing doctors for items personally administered. It excludes items dispensed by hospital pharmacies.
3. The net ingredient cost refers to the cost of the drug before discounts and does not include any dispensing costs or fees.
4. The Treasury GDP deflator has been used.
5. Statistically comparative data for 1990–91 are not held. Data for 1994–95 are not yet available.