HC Deb 28 February 1995 vol 255 cc492-3W
Mr. Allason

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what assessment she has made of whether sufficient weight is given to medical opinion as distinct from advice from social services advisers, when placements are made in residential homes under the care in the community policy in Devon.

Mr. Bowis

Local social services departments are responsible for assessing and deciding with users and carers how the needs of local people should be met, but I have made it clear that there should be an input from doctors or nurses, when appropriate, in continuing care assessment procedures.