§ Mr. Willetts
The terms of reference for the Advisory Committee on Advertising are:
- 1. To consider the relevance to Government publicity campaigns of developments in communications media and methods; and in accountability and planning techniques.
- 2. To act as a forum for discussion of related topics which might have a bearing upon the cost-effectiveness of Government paid-publicity activity.
- 3. To make recommendations, via the Central Office of Information, on which private sector suppliers should he appointed, or invited to compete for appointment, to handle:
- a) Advertising campaigns initiated by central Government Departments, executive agencies and other bodies.
- b) Central negotiation or buying of advertising space or airtime for COI in connection with the above campaigns.
The criteria for such recommendations should he those of maximum effectiveness and cost efficiency while maintaining a competitive environment.
4. To require from COI and other Government bodies annual assessments of each of the appointed suppliers, as a basis for considering whether their contracts should be renewed.
§ Dr. Willetts
The Advisory Committee on Advertising continues to have an important role. My right hon. Friend the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster will be meeting the chairman of the Advisory Committee on Advertising early in January.