HL Deb 04 December 1995 vol 567 cc64-5WA
Lord Tope

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What discretion local authorities have to pay bicycle allowances to councillors.

The Minister of State, Department of the Environment (Earl Ferrers):

Under the statutory regime for councillors' travel and subsistence, established under the Local Government Act 1972, local authorities have no power to pay bicycle allowances.