§ Mr. Galbraith
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what plans he has to alter the planning law on road-side advertising; and if he will make a statement. 326W
5 April, Official Report, columns 1174–75, concerning public appointments, if he will list the names and positions of the four people who have been appointed in consultation with the Prime Minister and the name of the person appointed in consultation with the Government Chief Whip. 
Mr. John M. Taylor
The four people appointed in consultation with the Prime Minister were:
- Lord Griffiths, MC, as chairman of the Advisory Committee on Legal Education and Conduct in October 1990;
- Lord Justice (now Lord) Steyn as chairman of the Advisory Committee on Legal Education and Conduct in October 1993;
- Lord Archer of Sandwell as chairman of the Council on Tribunals in November 1992; and
- Sir Tim Chessells as member of the Legal Aid Board in January 1995 and as chairman from May 1995.
- Mr. David Sumberg MP was appointed to the Advisory Council on Public Records in November 1992 in consultation with the Government Chief Whip.
A Member of Parliament from each of the main parties serves on the Advisory Council on Public Records, but only Mr. Sumberg was appointed in the period covered by the question.
§ Mr. Boateng
To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department if he will list the current total number of positions held and the number of new appointments, retirements and resignations in the last five years with respect to(a) the Judicial Committee of the House of Lords, (b) the Court of Appeal, (c) the High Court Bench,(d) the Circuit Bench, (e) the Industrial Tribunal, (f) the social security appeal tribunal, (g) the immigration appeals tribunal and (h) valuation tribunals. 
Mr. John M. Taylor
The information relating to the numbers of full-time office holders in post as at 19 April 1995 and to the numbers of appointments, retirements and resignations of full-time office holders in the five-year period between 19 April 1990 and 19 April 1995 is set out in the table.
§ Sir Paul Beresford
My right hon. Friend has no plans to amend the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1992 controlling road-side advertising. My right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Transport is consulting publicly on proposed changes to the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 1994 with regard to traffic signs for tourist destinations and facilities.