HC Deb 21 October 1994 vol 248 c373W
Mr. Morgan

To ask the Secretary of State for Wales what provisions he has made for the funding and supply of hip protector pads for the infirm of frail elderly in(a) NHS long-stay geriatric wards or hospitals, (b) private nursing or residential homes for the elderly and (c) elderly persons assisted by domiciliary services via care in the community; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Redwood

District health authorities have a discretion to provide hip protector pads to infirm or elderly people living in their own homes, residential care homes, and NHS patients in nursing homes.

Where a district health authority agrees to supply this service, it should be equally available to all. District health authorities have the power to charge nursing homes for the supply of such aids to non-NHS patients.

Whether or not such a service is provided is a matter for a district health authority to determine in the light of its local priorities.

Forward to