HC Deb 03 November 1994 vol 248 c1314W
Ms Jowell

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what representations he has received regarding compensation for people living alongside rail lines being used by channel tunnel passenger and freight services who are affected by increased noise and vibration; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Watts

A number of representations have been received. The Land Compensation Act 1973 provides for compensation to be paid in certain circumstances when the value of property is reduced as a result of physical factors such as noise and vibration arising from the use of new or altered public works or where there has been a change of use in respect of the works - other than an intensification of an existing use. It is for people who believe they have claims for compensation to submit them to the responsible authority, in this case Railtrack, for consideration. Further information is given in a guide recently produced by Railtrack for householders who may be considering claims. A copy is being placed in the Library.