HC Deb 16 May 1994 vol 243 c335W
Mrs. Fyfe

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what is meant by exceptional leave to enter for persons applying for refugee status.

Mr. Charles Wardle

A person who is not recognised as a refugee in the United Kingdom in accordance with the 1951 United Nations convention relating to the status of refugees may be granted exceptional leave to enter or remain if there are compelling humanitarian reasons for not returning him to his country of origin.