HC Deb 12 May 1994 vol 243 c208W
Mr. John D. Taylor

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what provision exists for businesses to claim compensation for loss of business due to(a) road works and (b) works associated with water supplies; and what plans he has to change these provisions.

Mr. Baldry

Compensation for loss of business due to development by a public authority, or other body acting under statutory powers, is assessed in accordance with the land compensation code, specified for England and Wales principally in the Land Compensation Acts 1961 and 1973, the Compulsory Purchase Act 1965 and the Planning and Compensation Act 1991. One of a series of official booklets on the compensation code deals with the position of businesses affected by public development. I am sending a copy to the hon. Member.

The compensation code was thoroughly reviewed prior to the introduction of important changes in the 1991 Act. My right hon. Friend has no proposals for further amendment.