HC Deb 02 March 1994 vol 238 cc735-6W
Mr. Matthew Taylor

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his answer of 16 February, Official Report, columns801–3, if he will place in the Library the results of independent survey research, the other relevant measures which demonstrate response to advertising and the result of the independent audit on the buying efficiency of television advertising.

Mr. Howard

Research surveys contain commercially confidential information which it would not be right to reveal. I do not therefore propose to have them placed in the Library.

Nor could the results of the auditing of the buying efficiency of television advertising be revealed without seriously weakening the negotiating position of Central Office of Information agencies which act on behalf of Departments. I can, however, state the primary outcome of each campaign as measured by research, in relation to the objectives given in my answer on 16 February, columns 801–3.

Electoral Registration Awareness of the need to put one's name on a form or register rose from 64 per cent. to 72 per cent. (all groups of potential voters). Within that total, awareness of the need among 16–24 year olds rose from 33 per cent to 49 per cent. The total of ethnic minorities aware of the advertising was 44 per cent. and this will be the benchmark against which future figures will be measured. If those people saying they intended to register as a result of advertising did so, 93 per cent of all groups would be able to vote: 73 per cent. of 16–24 year olds; and 81 per cent. of ethnic minorities.

Smoke Alarms In 1989 ownership of alarms was 31 per cent. of households. Research of the current phase of advertising cannot be completed until after the campaign has finished in March. However, the March 1993 phase had helped push the total to 63 per cent. and my Department is confident of reaching the 70 per cent. target this year.

Car Crime Prevention Ninety per cent. of respondents recognised car crime prevention advertising after the September 1993 phase. Sixty-three per cent. said it would make them do more about car security compared with 57 per cent. after the February 1993 phase.

Special Constables Recruitment As of 21 February 1994, there have been 8,410 enquiries, subsequently converting to 4,314 applications as a result of the 1993–94 campaign. Final conversion rates are not yet available.