§ Mr. Patchett
To ask the Secretary of State for Health if she will list the reserve powers she has to intervene in national health service trusts; and when and how often she has used each power.
§ Dr. Mawhinney
The powers of my right hon. Friend Secretary of State to make directions to national health service trusts are laid down in the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990, schedule 2, paragraphs 6(1) and 6(2) and section 98(2) of the National Health Service Act 1977, as amended by the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990. These powers have been invoked as listed. Copies of the directions will be placed in the Library.
- Directions to NHS Trusts
- March 1991—Appointments of Consultant Medical and Dental Staff to NHS Trusts
- August 1991—Appointment of Speech Therapists
- November 1991—NHS Treatment of Overseas Visitors
- March 1992—Production of Accounts
- March 1993—Income Generation—Hospital and NHS Pharmacy Contracts
- May 1993—Appointments of the Professions Supplementary to Medicine to NHS Trusts
- May 1993—Hospital Complaints Procedure Act 1985—Procedures to be operated in respect of complaints by hospital patients.