HC Deb 17 June 1994 vol 244 c671W
Ms Ruddock

To ask the Secretary of state for the Environment what minimum standards for heating residential accommodation are issued which must be adhered to by local authorities, housing associations and private developers.

Mr. Baldry

When new residential accommodation is constructed in England and Wales, local authorities, housing associations and private developers are required to comply with the building regulations. The regulations contain no specific minimum standards for heating, but part L of those regulations sets requirements for the conservation of fuel and power which include provisions for insulation of the building elements and adequate heating controls. The Government are proposing to lay before Parliament shortly revised regulations which strengthen the requirements of part L.