HC Deb 11 July 1994 vol 246 c406W
Mr. Austin Mitchell

To ask the Secretary of State for Employment by what authority non-EU citizens cannot take up British academic appointments when their qualifications and abilities are considered by the academic institutions to be superior.

Mr. Michael Forsyth

The Department grants work permits under the Immigration Act 1971 to enable United Kingdom employers, including academic institutions, where necessary, to recruit highly skilled personnel from outside the European Economic Area. It does so for overseas nationals who have unique qualifications or experience, or where there are no suitable qualified resident workers available.

Back to
Forward to