HC Deb 08 July 1994 vol 246 c339W
Mr. Harry Greenway

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what maintenance payments are due from fathers of children born to unmarried lesbians; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Burt

Under the Child Support Act and regulations, a parent with care who claims or receives income support, family credit or disability working allowance is required to give her authority for maintenance to be pursed from the absent parent unless there is a risk of harm or undue distress occurring to her or any child living with her. If benefit is not in payment it is a matter for the parent with care whether she seeks a child support maintenance assessment.

A man who fathers a child has a responsibility to pay maintenance under child support legislation. This applies whether the mother lives alone or with a new partner. However, where a woman attends a licensed centre for artificial insemination by an anonymous donor the donor cannot be treated as the absent parent.