§ Mr. Roger Evans
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) what recent representations he has received regarding the visual effect on the countryside of the erection of 15 m masts as a result of amendment 6 of the General Development Order;
(2) how many telecommunications masts have been erected without planning permission as a result of amendment 6 of the General Development Order.
§ Mr. Rathbone
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) how many telecommunication masts of(a) up to 15 m in height and (b) over 15 m in height have been erected in (i) areas of outstanding natural beauty, (ii) environmentally sensitive areas and (c) other areas in England;
(2) how many permissions have been granted on appeal to him for erection of telecommunication masts of over 489W 15 m in height in England in areas of outstanding natural beauty, in environmentally sensitive areas and in other areas in England;
(3) how many local district authorities have included in their approved development plans specific policies for the siting of telecommunication masts in their area; how many have not; and how many are awaiting approval of such plans;
(4) what encouragement the Government are giving for the erection of telecommunication masts under 15 m in height rather than those of greater height;
(5) what steps the Government are taking to encourage mast sharing among telecommunications operators, particular in respect of masts over 15 m in height; and what assessment has been made of the results of such encouragement.