HC Deb 05 November 1993 vol 231 c573W
Mr. Livingstone

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department from what sources funding is available for the support of families of people killed in road accidents; how much funding is available; and how it is allocated.

Mr. Maclean

This is not a matter for which I have any Departmental responsibility. However, I am informed by my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Transport that where a motorist is at fault, the victim of a road accident—or, in fatal cases, surviving relatives—may be compensated either by the motorist, his insurers, or in the case of untraced or uninsured drivers, by the Motor Insurers Bureau. I further understand that state support in the form of social security provision may be available if the relevant criteria are satisfied.