HC Deb 05 November 1993 vol 231 c499W
Mr. Beggs

To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what forms of financial assistance or allowance are available to a relative of a person who is permanently in care to take the person home for a period of respite at home.

Mr. Ancram

There is no special scheme of financial assistance available to a carer who provides respite at home for a person who is permanently resident in care. However, a relative who looks after a severely disabled person during a period of respite at home, may receive invalid care allowance if they satisfy the qualifying conditions. In addition, a carer premium may be payable to a carer claiming income support or housing benefit provided that the carer or his/her partner is receiving invalid care allowance.