§ Lord Lyell
asked Her Majesty's Government:
How they will respond to the UN Secretary-General's appeal for humanitarian assistance for Afghanistan.
§ Baroness Chalker of Wallasey
The Government will make an immediate pledge of £7.5 million. This sum will be allocated as follows:
- —£3 million for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees to support its programme of assistance to returning refugees from Pakistan and Iran;
- —£1 million for the International Committee of the Red Cross;
- ——£1 million for the UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Assistance to Afghanistan, for mine clearance;
- —£1.6 million to respond to requests from non-governmental organisations involved in relief, rehabilitation and development work;
- —£0.9 million food aid contribution through the World Food Programme.
This pledge is in addition to over £80 million of humanitarian aid provided by Britain for Afghanistan since 1980, of which £7.55 million has been disbursed in 1992–93 in response to an earlier UN appeal.