§ Mr. Redmond
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what assistance he is currently giving to the Tanzanian authorities to reduce elephant poaching and illegal ivory trading in that country: and if he will make a statement.
§ Mr. Lennox-Boyd
We are currently supporting the following conservation projects in Tanzania, which contribute directly or indirectly to elephant conservation:
- Elephant conservation in the Rungwa-Kizigo research complex (£80,000).
- Integrated conservation programme for the Lake Manyara catchment basin (£42,000)
- Conservation and management of the Selous game reserve (£100,000)
- Community-based conservation programme in the Serengeti national park (£33,800)
- Ruaha ecosystem wildlife management project (£800,000)