HC Deb 19 March 1993 vol 221 c428W
Mr. Wigley

To ask the President of the Board of Trade if he will make it his policy to hold a public inquiry into any proposals from oil exploration companies for development and exploitation of oil resources under the sea in Caernarfon Bay or Cardigan Bay.

Mr. Eggar

Any company seeking to develop offshore reserves must apply to my Department for development consent under the Petroleum and Submarine Pipe-lines Act 1975, and obtain other approvals and clearances as necessary from the relevant authorities, e.g. planning approval for onshore terminals. It would not be appropriate for me to pre-judge the application of these procedures. Obviously I am well seized of the environmental sensitivities surrounding these areas and in any licence award I will be imposing strict conditions on the licensees. Any development plan for such areas must also be accompanied by a satisfactory environmental impact assessment.