§ Mr. Sproat
To ask the President of the Board of Trade if he will list the chairmen of the task forces appointed to look into aspects of possible deregulation; which areas each chairman will cover; what will be the method of operation of each task force; who will serve on each task force, additional to the chairman; by what date he has ordered each task force to report their findings; and if he will make a statement.
§ Mr. Neil Hamilton
We have set up seven task forces to undertake a comprehensive review of regulations affecting business and to advise Ministers on priorities for repeal and simplification. The task forces will work for the next six months, making regular reports to Ministers. The names of the task force chairmen and the areas they will cover are as follows:
- Michael Heron—Food, drink and agriculture
- Duncan Bluck CBE—Communications and transport
- Christopher Spackman—Construction
- Malcolm Bates—Engineering industries
- John Robb—Chemicals and pharmaceuticals
- Sir Sydney Lipworth—Financial services
- Nigel Whittaker—Retail and Tourism
The Chairmen will meet Lord Sainsbury, the DTI's special adviser on deregulation, later this week to agree the method of operation of the task forces. The names of the other members of the task forces will be announced shortly.