HC Deb 16 March 1993 vol 221 c216W
Mr. Redmond

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what action he is taking to ensure that fathers cite the name of mothers who abandon their child, so that they can be made to pay maintenance towards the upkeep of their child; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Burt

The provisions of the Child Support Act 1991 apply equally whether it is the mother or the father who is the parent with care of the children. Therefore, where a father who is the parent with care of the child is in receipt of income support, family credit or disability working allowance, he will be required to co-operate with the Child Support Agency in obtaining maintenance from the mother, unless this would cause harm or undue distress to the parent with care or to any children living with him.