HC Deb 22 June 1993 vol 227 cc77-8W
Dr. Strang

To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage what grant aid is available for the purpose of restoring redundant farm houses and associated buildings in order that they may once again form the basis of an active farming unit.

Mr. Brooke

If the hon. Member's focus is a Scottish one, I suggest that he writes to my right hon. Friend the Secretary of Stale for Scotland. In England, since 1989, English Heritage has been contributing funds towards the barns and walls conservation scheme, in the Swaledale and Arkengarthdale conservation area of the Yorkshire Dales national park—a joint initiative also involving the national park, Richmondshire district council, the Countryside Commission and the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food. Grants of up to 80 per cent. are available to farmers and landowners to enable them to bring the buildings back into working condition, using traditional materials and repair techniques. Nationally, English Heritage is able to give grants for the repair of historic buildings of outstanding historical or architectural interest—usually those listed grade I or grade II—or those situated in designated conservation areas.