HC Deb 21 June 1993 vol 227 c5W
Ms Walley

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what procedures he has introduced to ensure that the housing needs of elderly people are fully met by local social services departments.

Mr. Baldry

Circular 10/92 "Housing and Community Care", issued jointly by my Department and the Department of Health on 24 September last year, advises social services and housing authorities of their roles under community care. Social service authorities have a statutory duty to assess an individual's needs for community care services and are advised to co-operate with housing authorities where appropriate, in making that assessment.