§ Mr. Shersby
To ask the Secretary of State for Health if she will make a statement about the setting up of a Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy (COMA) committee on cancer and diet, giving details of the terms of reference and the name of the chairman and members.
§ Mr. Sackville
The Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Kenneth Calman, in his role as chairman of the Committee on Medical Aspects of Food (COMA), has asked Professor Alan Jackson, from the department of human nutrition at the university of Southampton, to chair a new working group. Its terms of reference areTo advise on the relationship between nutrition and the development of cancer and to make recommendations.
Members of the COMA working group on diet and cancer will include:
- Dr. Sheila Bingham—Medical Research Council Dunn Clinical Nutrition Centre, Cambridge
- Professor Nicholas Day—Professor of Public Health, University of Cambridge
- Professor Anthony Dayan—Department of Toxicology, St. Bartholomew's Hospital Medical School, London
- Dr. Michael Kemp—Medical Research Council, London (representing the secretariat of the UK Cancer Co-ordinating Committee)
- Dr. Barrie Margetts—Department of Human Nutrition, University of Southampton
- Professor James Parry—Department of Genetics, University of Swansea
- Dr. Stanley Vennit—Institute of Cancer Research Sutton
- Dr. Christine Williams—Nutritional Metabolism Group, School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey
The first meeting of the working group will be in July and the chairman hopes that the report will be ready in 1996.