HC Deb 27 July 1993 vol 229 c1020W
Mr. David Atkinson

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security whether the preserved rights to income support at higher level of very dependent elderly and infirm will be maintained in unregistered residential care homes of fewer than four beds established prior to 1 April; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Burt

From 1 April, small homes are no longer exempt from the provisions of the Registered Homes Act 1984, and are required to register if they are providing both board and personal care. For the residents to have preserved rights the home must be registered. If a home is not registered, the residents are no longer entitled to the higher levels of income support but can claim normal income support and housing benefit.